Sunday 18 September 2016

It's raining and ...

We had warm tomato soup. I remembered my dad. If it's raining , he will ask me to make tomato soup. It must be watery , that's how he likes it. It's not the crap we buy from shops. It's so flavorful , healthy and tasty. I made it today and you enjoyed it thoroughly. I saw my dad in you. I also relived my childhood rainy days where I and my dad would be sipping hot tomato soup and chatting. He would say many of his young age stories - oh , how much I loved listening to them ! Sometimes , when he had a hearty laugh ,   his eyes would tear up , he would wipe and continue talking -  I miss him Anisha , I do.
Anisha , some foods are very dear to me - not because of the taste , but because of the memories I associate with it. I connect some food to beautiful memories , I guess everyone will do so. That's why I take cooking very seriously - it's a great way of showing love and affection. My dad hated  eating in restaurants , and he is someone who created an interest in cooking and nutrition , in my mind.  I am sure I have given you a nutritious start and  I am so proud of myself. You have a taste for nutritious foods. You hate anything sweet , you hate junk food. You love your fruits , veggies and meat. You prefer to eat boiled cow peas , chick peas or corn instead of cookies or chocolates. You haven't eaten a full chocolate until now. All you do with a chocolate is to  squeeze it and throw it around :) I hope you will develop a love for cooking too.
This tomato soup is very simple to make. I will leave the recipe here , in case if you need to make it someday and in case if I am not available :) So , here we go :
Ripe tomatoes - 4
Onion -  1 no
Garlic - 4-5 small pods
Jeera - 1 tbsp
Black pepper - 1 tsp or according to your taste
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Lime juice - tbsp ( optional )
I used olive oil , butter , rapeseed and coconut oil ( I love mixing oils , esp , when I cook for you - a healthy dose of fats ! )
Heat a pressure cooker pan , add the oils as much as you need , when the oil is hot , add cut onions and garlic , saute till the onions turn translucent , then add the tomatoes and turmeric , now add salt and saute in high heat for sometime , powder the jeera and black pepper coarsely and add it to the mixture in the pan. Add enough water , close and leave it for 5-6 whistles , as the pressure gets released a wonderful aroma fills your nostrils. Before serving mix in lime juice , adjust salt. 
The soup will be watery , and it tastes great. If you have mushrooms add a handful of it too.
When you suffer from cold , this soup gives the much needed relief. It has a good dose of anti - viral ingredients ( onion , garlic , turmeric ) , lots of lycopene , and pepper keeps you warm. Lime provides the necessary Vit C.
You just slurped it eagerly and that made my day :)

Amma

No comments:

Post a Comment